Development Blog - FAQ - Newsletter - Presskit - GIF Gameplay Repository - Official twitter - Unofficial twitter
Fringe Planet is a survival simulator sandbox based in a twisted voxel universe where both science and magic co-exist. It follows the story of six procedurally generated people (called peons) who awake in a frozen hellscape with no memory of who they are. It's up to the player to help them survive and eventually prosper.
- Detailed simulations – Fringe Planet is designed to be realistic. Many different simulations are running to keep the game dynamic in nature: everything from the peon AI getting angry at uncooked food, to the way the wind will change the temperature of a room is simulated.
- Brutally hard – there are several customisable story tellers that can influence the game - throwing events at the player (waking up to a demonically possessed peon is not a good start to the morning!) to keep the gameplay both fresh and challenging. Just surviving in the cold, frozen environment can be tricky enough.
- Storytelling – every game of Fringe Planet will feel unique - we have created a detailed and engaging world, and we want players to talk about the stories they create.
- Complex machinery – with both science and magic working together to produce crazy and fantastic machines, the player can choose how to best employ them. Is it worth while to set up a complex set of belts and machines to automatically craft objects? or would you rather let the peons do all the hard work?
- A living, breathing world – With plants that grow, snowfall and constantly visiting mini-biomes, the world of Fringe Planet is exciting and dynamic in nature.
- Customisable Peons – Don't like the procedurally generated peons? Customise them completely - from physical appearance to their pasts and even their personalities. We would advise against customising after loved ones however as Fringe Planet can be incredibly nasty toward peons!
- Attention to detail – Clothes dynamically change when a peon changes them. Plants have different growth cycles - some grow during the day, others at night. Doors let heat out of a room. Some peons snore. We feel it's the little details like they take an awesome game and makes it epic.
- Modding – Fringe Planet has been designed from the ground up with modding in mind. Every aspect of the game can be changed via modding and we are very excited to see what the community creates.
- Rich Lore – Inspired heavily by the works of H. P. Lovecraft, there is a detailed and complex lore - a reason for everything. Players can explore and discover this lore, or choose to ignore it.
What platforms will Fringe Planet be released on?
Fringe Planet is aimed at the PC/Linux platform, and depending on feedback we will be releasing a Mac version. There are no plans to port the Fringe Planet to consoles at the moment.
What stage of development is Fringe Planet at?
Fringe Planet is in active development and moving very rapidly toward a playable demo. Follow us on twitter to find out more.
Is there multiplayer?
Fringe Planet is not designed with multiplayer in mind. However, there is an optional online component where you can discover other players games that have ended - allowing you to explore and scavenge them.
Is this Minecraft?
Aside from voxels and survival elements, Minecraft and Fringe Planet are two very different games. Fringe Planet is played with a free floating camera and you don't directly interact with the environment - the peons do that for you.
What are you developing Fringe Planet in?
When will Fringe Planet be released?
Fringe Planet is being developed with the powerful Unity game engine.
We are planning to release a closed beta towards the end of 2018, with an Early Access version being released at the start of 2019. We are aiming to be out of Early Access by the end of 2019.
Where can I follow development?
We release a new development blog entry every Friday, which details the work done over the week. In addition to that you can follow our lead developer on twitter - he blogs daily about Fringe Planet development.
Will there be a kickstarter?
Yes. We actively seeking funding for the development of the game, and a kickstarter is a fantastic way of getting funding. We are waiting until we have a feature rich demo to show before we start a kickstarter, please keep an eye out for additional announcements about this!
How can I help?
Spread the word! Fringe Planet is being developed by a small indie studio in the United Kingdom and it's really important to get the game on peoples radar. So feel free to tweet/share/email about the game!
I have more questions!
We are always happy to answer your questions - either tweet them to us, or you can email us at : firstname.lastname@example.org - we would love to hear from you!